DITCH THE BREAD
Remember when you were a kid and you made your first toad-in-the-hole? Grabbing a piece of white bread, you’d press a small juice glass into the soft center to create the hole for the egg, then put a chunk of butter in a frying pan and wait until it was nice and bubbly. When you cracked an egg and it landed perfectly into the middle of the hole, you’d grin. Success! And you always threw in the little circle of bread for an extra mouthful of fried toast. Delicious. Here’s the rub: One slice of white bread comes in at about 17 net carbs. Never fear, it’s avocados to the rescue!
SWITCH UP THE TRADITIONAL TOAD-IN-THE-HOLE
We’ve been craving avocado all year, and have been looking for ways to change them up a bit. Our avocado toad-in-the-hole ditches the bread and makes for a scrumptious and nutritious breakfast or anytime meal. With a creamy texture and nutty, warm flavor, it’s hard to resist. We love to serve them on Sunday brunch, holiday weekends, or as an anytime meal. Top them off with a little shredded cheese, crispy bacon, a pinch of salt and pepper, scallions, and peppers, and you’ve got a meal that will keep you satiated for hours with only 2 net carbs per serving!
You can replace the bacon with cooked, crumbled pork sausage, add any cheese you enjoy, and switch up the vegetables as you like.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF AVOCADO
Avocados are loaded with monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats, otherwise know as the “good fats.” They’ve been linked to reducing levels of bad (LDL) cholesterol. They’re fiber-rich, coming in around 10 grams per avocado, and this combination of fat and fiber helps you feel full longer. They’re a great source of nutrients like Folate, Magnesium, Potassium, B vitamins, C, E and K, and they even help with absorption of the fat-soluble nutrients like vitamins A, D, E, and K.
BAKE TEMPERATURE AND TIME IS CRITICAL
We’re not reinventing the wheel here. Just about every keto/low carb website has an avocado and egg combination. We had to find our own sweet spot for this recipe – in particular, the bake temperature and time. We like our eggs with a runny yolk, so 20 minutes at 375 F oven was just right, but if you prefer a yolk a little firmer, you’ll need to add a few extra minutes. The egg continues to firm up when allowed to rest a few minutes after removing from the oven, and we felt those few minutes made a huge difference in texture. The size of your avocado will also determine baking times.
TIPS FOR MAKING KETO TOAD-IN-THE-HOLE
Slice the avocados in half and remove the pit, making sure you scoop out enough of the flesh to make room for the egg. A cookie scoop works perfectly for this, which removes about 2-3 tablespoons.
Before placing the egg in the hole of the avocado, put them in a small baking dish so they remain upright, or use a muffin tin which works great, too.
On our first try, we used extra large eggs and plopped the entire egg into the hole, but found that wasn’t the best approach – egg whites oozed over the sides and made a mess. On our second try, we used medium eggs, but still were unable to keep the egg from spilling into the pan. After doing a little research and testing, we separated the eggs and placed the yolks in first, followed by spoonfuls of the whites. (Use a fork or whisk to whip the whites a few seconds for easier spooning.) This was the method that gave us the best results.
INGREDIENTS YOU’LL NEED
2 medium avocados
4 medium eggs
Kosher salt (or sea salt)
Toppings: cheese, bacon, chives, green onions, red peppers
1. Preheat: Oven to 375 F.
2. Prepare avocados: Cut in half and remove pits.
3. Remove: Scoop out about 2 tablespoons of flesh, creatine a hole for the egg.
4. Whisk: Egg whites briefly for easier spooning over yolks.
5. Place: Yolks in avocado hole, followed by whites.
6. Bake and Cool:. Finish with your favorite toppings.
Spread a generous amount of Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper on top, and you’re almost done. Pop them in a 375 degree F oven and bake until the eggs have reached your desired level of doneness. Plop on the toppings and enjoy a visually appealing and flavorful dish!
A Quick and Easy Keto Toad-in-the-Hole Recipe
- 2 medium avocados halved and pitted
- 4 medium eggs separated
- ½ tsp Kosher salt or any coarse salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Cut avocados in half and remove pits.
- Scoop out enough flesh to make room for egg. (About 2 tablespoons).
- Separate the eggs and place yolks in the hole, then fill the remainder of hole with the slightly whisked or beaten egg whites. Generously sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until egg white is set. This will result in a runny yolk. Bake a few minutes more if you prefer a harder yolk. Remove from oven and allow avocado to cool a few minutes.
- Sprinkle on your favorite toppings: 1 T shredded cheddar, Parmesan, pepper jack cheese, and bacon crumbles add zero net carbs. 1 t scallions, chives, or peppers add negligible net carbs.