Mike and I have been tweaking this breakfast shake for over a year. We’ve had some epic fails – too bitter, too thin, too thick, and sometimes a less-than-appetizing color and taste. I’m happy to report our efforts paid off! This shake has everything – nutrition, flavor, and a rich and creamy texture. It’s guaranteed to keep you satisfied for hours without a trace of hunger pangs. And it’s so yummy your kids will ask for seconds.
Despite the hefty amount of spinach in this shake, you won’t detect the bitterness that comes from oxalates in spinach. Oxalates function as chelators, meaning they help carry toxins out of the body. Love that, but I don’t usually love spinach-based shakes. This one is different. It’s simply delicious.
A few years ago, Mike and I invested in a high-powered blender. They’re definitely on the pricey side, so when Costco had a good deal on Vitamix, we jumped on it. It blends, chops, grates, shreds, kneads and makes amazing beverages, soups, sauces, dips, dressings, and frozen desserts. And it does it all faster than typical blenders.
This shake is full of healthy whole foods. Spinach is an excellent source of vitamins A, C and K as well as folate, manganese, and potassium. Greek yogurt is loaded with protein, healthy fats, and probiotics.
Whey and hydrolyzed collagen contain proteins that support muscle growth, maintenance and repair. They also provide a balanced amino acid profile, meaning you’re getting a more complete protein. MCT oil provides important medium chain triglycerides that are quickly digested and converted into fuel for the body and brain.
The frozen berries (besides tasting delicious) provide antioxidants, vitamins and fiber. This shake is a powerhouse of nutrition.
I promise you’re going to love this one.
Best Keto Berry Breakfast Shake
- 4 cups raw spinach
- 1.5 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup whole milk plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup Cytosport or Muscle Milk whey protein isolate powder vanilla flavored (we buy at Costco, but available at Amazon)
- 2 tbsp Perfotek hydrolyzed collagen and peptides unflavored powder Amazon
- 2 tablespoons MCT oil
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- 1 cup frozen blueberries I love wild blueberries
- Combine spinach and almond milk in blender. Blend on high for 30 seconds or until mixture is completely emulsified.
- Add yogurt, whey protein power, collagen powder and MCT oil. Blend on high for 30 seconds.
- Add frozen strawberries. Blend for one minute.
- Add frozen blueberries. Blend additional one minute.