I’m sure you’re thinking, “Why do I need a recipe for quesadillas?” Keep reading. I found a not-so-secret low-carb substitute you’re gonna love.
First of all, who doesn’t love Mexican food? When I’m starving and don’t have a lot of time to prepare a meal, I grab a few items that are always in my fridge and whip up the most amazing low-carb quesadillas in 10 minutes or less. Basically, they’re Mexican grilled cheese sandwiches. To make a cheese quesadilla, you’ll need only three items: a tortilla, butter, and shredded cheese.
When I first started my low-carb keto diet, one of the things I really hated to give up was tortillas. A Mission brand 8-inch soft flour tortilla comes in at 25 net carbs! So I gave them up. Completely. I was bummed.
A few months ago, I stumbled upon Mission Carb Balance tortillas. They’re available in flour (4 net carbs per tortilla) or whole wheat (4), and I just this week found them in spinach herb (3), which as a side note, are perfect for sandwich wraps! These little beauties are simply spectacular! ZERO difference between the high and low carb tortillas as far as taste and quality. Sunday nights are saved!
I love to layer shredded cheese, diced jalapeño or green chilies, red peppers, tomato slices, onions, taco-seasoned ground beef or shredded rotisserie chicken, and sometimes a few black beans (A scant 1/4 to 1/3 cup adds 4 to 6 net carbs for each serving.) I suggest finely chopping veggies or they’ll slide right out of the tortilla. Any low-carb veggie or meat will do.
I think my personal favorite just may be piling on shredded cheese and sliced tomatoes. Or maybe cheese and jalapeños. So simple and so delicious.
I mix different cheeses for added flavor. My go-to cheeses: shredded sharp cheddar and Monterey jack. If I have some leftover crumbled feta, I’ve been known to throw that in, too. You may want to try Oaxaca/Quesillo cheese for a traditional Mexican taste, but be warned: It has a mozzarella-like string cheese texture, so it’s on the gooey side.
Generally, I make one large quesadilla because I’m lazy. Mike and I share it, and I personalize each side – Mike loves to pile on the hot peppers. The downside: It’s a little tricky to flip over, so I use a wide silicone pancake turner and it works beautifully. If you prefer to make individual quesadillas, when the cheese is melted and add-ins are warm, fold the tortilla on itself to make a half-moon shape. Hope you enjoy this simple, fast recipe!
Crispy Low-Carb Quesadillas
- 2 tbsp Salted butter
- 2 Carb balance flour tortillas
- 1 cup Shredded cheddar cheese or your favorite variety
- Jalapeño or green chilies
- Tomato slices
- Taco seasoned ground beef
- Shredded chicken
- Green onions
- Sour cream
- Avocado guacamole
- In hot skillet over medium heat, melt one tablespoon butter.
- Place one tortilla in pan over melted butter and turn heat to medium-high. Heat the tortilla until air pockets form. Flip.
- Layer on cheese and any optional ingredients you like. Be careful not to layer add-ons too thickly.
- Place second tortilla on top and dot with remaining tablespoon butter.
- When bottom tortilla is golden brown, use a large spatula to flip to cook remaining side. Each side takes between 3-5 minutes.
- Remove from pan and cut into wedges. Serve with any low carb or keto toppings. Below is net carb count for toppings. Choose the best options for you. Slice and serve!