I was visiting Amy in New York last fall when she asked me to help her out with an Indian chicken dish she said was keto, quick to prepare, and scrumptious. She was scrolling through keto recipes and came across this dish created by Megha Barot, who with her husband, Matt, created the keto food blog, Keto Connect. She lives in Atlanta, as do I, so I was interested in checking out their blog.
It’s become one of my favorite all-time chicken dishes! I avoid complicated recipes like the plague, so when Amy asked me to be her sous chef, I rolled up my sleeves for the long haul. To my surprise, the total time including prep was just under 25 minutes. And the flavors – simply incredible. The three Shuebach kids gobbled it up before I could grab seconds.
It has just the right amount of spices – not too much, not too little – and even better, they are ones you typically have in your kitchen pantry. The turmeric, ginger, chili powder, and cinnamon are staple Indian cuisine spices, and WOW do they make this recipe pop with taste and color. The heavy whipping cream, butter, garlic, and onion meld into a creamy explosion of flavors.
If you’re just starting a keto diet, stock the fridge with heavy whipping cream. It’s used in lots of delicious keto recipes and a little goes a long way in making velvety-rich sauces and desserts. A few years ago I avoided whipping cream because the thought was, too many calories/too much fat. But remember a keto diet limits carbohydrates and relies on fat for source of energy. One cup of heavy whipping cream (which makes two cups whipped) contains only 6.6 grams of carbs.
This recipe calls for chicken breast meat, but if you prefer dark meat, that would work just as well. Chicken dishes with sauces do best with skinless meat.
When I got back home to Atlanta, I made this Indian chicken dish for Mike. I haven’t made many Indian dishes because I’m not a fan of curry. But these Indian spices were subtle yet spicy. Mike couldn’t stop talking about this fantastic dish and neither can I. Guarantee you won’t have any leftovers at your house!
Divine Keto Butter Chicken | From Meghay Barot/Keto Connect
- 1 pound chicken breast
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1.5 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 medium onion
- 1.5 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- Combine the turmeric, ginger, salt, chili powder, and cinnamon in a bowl and set aside.
- Cut the chicken into 1-inch pieces and put in bowl. Dredge chicken pieces with spices to coat.
- Heat a large skillet to medium. Add butter, diced onion and garlic to the pan. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Increase the heat to medium-high and add coated chicken. Cook for about 3-5 minutes. The outside of the chicken should be white but won’t be cooked completely through.
- Add the heavy whipping cream and tomato paste, stirring with a spatula to mix well.
- Turn the heat down to medium-low and cover with a lid for 5-7 minutes.
- Remove the lid and stir. It’s now ready to eat! If you prefer a thicker sauce, reduce with the lid off.