The mild flavor of zucchini makes a perfect pairing with Parmesan cheese in this yummy side dish. This quiche-like vegetable casserole reminds me of summer days in Michigan when Mom, with a station wagon full of kids, stopped off at roadside stands to buy tomatoes, corn and zucchini. It’s been a family favorite for years, and now that zucchini can be purchased year-round, it’s a favorite during the holidays, too.
Remember this recipe when your co-worker comes to work with a bag full of zucchinis from her backyard garden. Don’t say no, say thank you! It’s a win-win. Our backyard garden produced large quantities of squash this summer, while our berry crop was a failure. Still trying to figure that one out. I use this low-carb fruit (yes, botanically speaking, it’s a fruit), as a healthy replacement for pasta.
What you may not know: zucchini is rich in antioxidants – substances that stabilize harmful molecules in the body called free radicals, which may play a role in heart disease, cancer, and other diseases. Scientists believe the skin is where you’ll find the highest level of antioxidants, so no peeling the skins! Also plentiful in zucchini, carotenoids like lutein, zeaxanthin and beta carotene, and they’re rich in vitamins A, B, and K, magnesium and fiber. It’s official. Zucchini is good for you.
Choose zucchini that are vibrant in color and small in size – about 8-10 inches in length. Any larger, and they loose flavor and texture. The recipe is simple. Thinly slice 4 cups of zucchini and sauté with onion and butter until golden brown. Then whisk together eggs, milk, almond crumbs, Parmesan cheese, and add salt and pepper. Place sautéed zucchini mixture in a casserole dish, pour on the whisked ingredients, and top with more Parmesan cheese. The result: a savory, scrumptious veggie dish.
Only seven ingredients (not counting salt and pepper) and takes less than 15 minutes to assemble. Most everyone asks for seconds, so I usually double the recipe. Use a larger dish when doubling to keep the cook time the same.
Divine Low-Carb Zucchini Parmesan Casserole
- 4 cups thinly-sliced zucchini
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onion
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon almond crumbs I use whole almonds finely chopped in food processor.
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese
- Sauté zucchini, onion and butter over medium-high heat until golden brown. Place in 9 inch (2 quart) buttered baking dish. If doubling the recipe, use larger size for even cooking.
- In mixing bowl whisk together eggs, milk, almond crumbs, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.
- Pour egg mixture over browned squash and onions. Top with remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 35 minutes at 350 degrees F or until slightly brown and edges are bubbly. Serve piping hot.