Try our Easy Cheesy Keto Spaghetti Bake for a dinner keto spaghetti casserole that’s flavorful, keto, low carb, and gluten-free. It’s hearty, delicious comfort food that’s perfect for family dinners or potluck. We’ve been making this recipe for over 50 years and with just a few changes, we’ve duplicated the same delicious baked spaghetti dish, with only a fraction of the original carbs. It’s also a recipe that kids will love (not too spicy). This recipe serves 8 and can easily be doubled for larger crowds. With only 5g net carbohydrates and 312 calories per serving, it’s okay to take seconds. Serve with a crisp, green salad topped with our Zero Carb Vinaigrette or our Ultimate Creamy Blue Cheese Dressing (zero carb).
You’ll need a pound of ground beef (or ground chicken or ground turkey), a 24 ounce jar of Rao’s marinara sauce, 2 cans of Palmini noodles (we use Hearts of Palm Angel Hair in this recipe), a quarter cup of green onions (scallions), butter, 2 cups of shredded cheddar, and 2 dried spices. That’s all there is to it.
First, fill a medium to large saucepan with water and bring it to a boil. While you’re waiting, brown ground meat in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Drain off as much fat as possible. Now add in the marinara sauce and the seasonings, then simmer about 5 – 10 minutes until the sauce is nice and hot and thoroughly combined. Use any Rao’s spaghetti sauce you like. For this recipe, we used the tomato and basil variety (less spicy and kid-friendly) but we absolutely love Rao’s arrabbiata sauce for it’s zesty flavors. Lots of delicious choices with Rao’s sauce!
Drain and rinse the canned Palmini Hearts of Palm Angel Hair noodles, which helps to neutralize the flavor. By far, it’s the best replacement for pasta we’ve tried. In this recipe, the texture holds up better than other noodles, like zucchini noodles or spaghetti squash noodles, which tend to hold more water and result in a soggy casserole.
Place the Palmini angel hair noodles in boiling water for 10 minutes, then drain into colander and rinse with cold water, or the next step will be too hot to handle. Using paper towels or a dishtowel, squeeze out as much liquid as possible. TIP: Don’t skip over this step, otherwise you will have a soggy casserole.
In another pan over medium heat, melt the butter and add scallions and sauté for 2 minutes. Add in the angel hair noodles and stir to coat. Remove the skillet from the heat.
To layer the casserole, spread 1/2 of the coated angel hair into the bottom of a baking dish. A 13x9x2, 10x10x2, or a 9x9x2 work fine. The smaller sizes will obviously produce a higher stack. Layer on 1/2 of the meat sauce, then 1 cup of cheddar cheese Repeat the steps for the 2nd layer.
Place in oven and bake at 350 degrees F, uncovered for 25-30 minutes until the cheese is lightly browned. The last step is important: Rest the casserole for 10-15 minutes prior to serving. Garnish with whatever fresh herb you like. Chives, parsley, basil, are equally great. At only 5 net carbs per serving, a prep time of 15 minutes, and a total time of 45 minutes, it’s a quick keto dinner recipe!
WHAT DO I SERVE WITH IT?
Serve with a crisp, green salad loaded with fresh low carb veggies (think cucumber, bell pepper, broccoli, sliced avocado, olives, cauliflower) topped with our Zero Carb Vinaigrette or our Ultimate Creamy Blue Cheese Dressing (zero carb).
CAN I MAKE IT AHEAD OF TIME?
Absolutely! Assemble the spaghetti casserole per the recipe, but instead of baking in the oven, store it covered in the fridge until you’re ready to bake. Place it at room temperature about 30 minutes to an hour to warm up before baking.
Store covered leftovers in the fridge and reheat in the microwave. It’s even better the second day!
Easy Cheesy Keto Spaghetti Bake
- 1 lb 80/20 ground beef browned and drained
- 24 oz Rao's Homemade Marinara Sauce any variety
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2- 14 oz Palmini Hearts of Palm Angel Hair rinsed and drained
- 4 tbsp butter
- ¼ cup chopped scallions
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Fill a saucepan with water and heat on high. While water is coming to a boil, brown ground beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Drain off fat. Add in the marinara sauce, Italian seasoning, and oregano. Simmer about 5 -10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While the sauce is cooking, drain and rinse the canned Palmini Hearts of Palm Angel Hair and place in boiling water for 10 minutes.
- Drain cooked angel hair into colander and rinse with cool water. Using paper towels or cloth, squeeze out as much liquid as possible. In a separate skillet over medium heat, melt butter and stir in onions. Sauté 2 minutes until softened. Add angel hair and stir until coated. Remove from heat.
- To layer the casserole, spread ½ of the coated angel hair pasta into the bottom of a baking dish (We used 13x9x2 because that's what we had on hand. A 10x10x2 or 9x9x2 also works well and results in a higher stack). Next, layer ½ of the meat sauce. Then sprinkle with 1 cup of cheddar cheese. Layer remaining angel hair, meat sauce, and top with remaining cheddar.
- Bake in middle rack, uncovered for 25-30 minutes, until cheese is lightly browned. Rest for 10-15 minutes before serving. Garnish with chopped chives or parsley.