Our hearty Keto Cheesy Chicken Chowder is the perfect entrée to warm up the entire family on cold winter days. It’s loaded with tender chicken and healthy, mild-tasting vegetables that your kids will love (or not notice). Enjoy this rich, cheesy, and delicious chowder for only 3 net carbs per serving!
Our chowder recipe is inspired by a family favorite shared with us years ago by our sister-in-law, Janet. A loving mother of three, she was diagnosed with lymphoma and passed a few years later. Always impressed with her toughness and positive attitude, we miss her every day. Our family has made Janet’s chowder recipe for years, without knowing where it originated. A quick check on the internet reveals the basic ingredients and directions are similar to many chicken chowder recipes, and most contain carb-laden potatoes and carrots.
We like to use rotisserie chicken whenever we can. Such a time-saver, and for this recipe we cut the chicken into small cubes. We replace the diced potatoes with cauliflower that we’ve cut into small florets, and the diced carrots with diced turnips. Loaded with fiber, vitamins, and minerals, turnips have a mild, sweet and nutty flavor when cooked, reminding us of a cross between a potato and a carrot. To peel a turnip, cut off both ends to creat a flat surface, then use a potato peeler to remove the skin. Cauliflower florets are a fabulous low-carb substitute for potatoes, and in this chowder, their flavor profile is very mild.
Using a large stock pot, we begin with a quick sauté of butter, celery, onions, and garlic. Next we add chicken stock or broth, (if you’re watching sodium intake, use low sodium stock or broth which reduces sodium by 2/3rds), then the cauliflower florets, diced turnips, freshly ground black pepper, salt (we think seasoned salt is a good option), a teaspoon of red pepper flakes (optional, of course, and the amount depends on your heat tolerance), and a little heavy cream. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer.
In order to thicken the chowder without adding the carbs of white flour, we use 1 teaspoon of xanthan gum. Use a small mixing bowl with about 1/2 cup of hot water and slowly sprinkle in the xanthan gum, whisking constantly until you have a smooth mixture. Stir it into the chowder, cover the pot, and simmer for an additional 12-15 minutes, then add the chicken pieces and return the chowder to a simmer.
Remove from the heat and stir in the shredded cheddar. We use sharp or extra-sharp varieties, but you’re the boss. Mild cheddar is delicious in this chowder, too. Garnish with a little chopped red pepper and chives, with a pinch of extra cheese on top.
Keto Cheesy Chicken Chowder
- 6 quart stock pot
- 2 cups chicken cooked, cubed
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 cup celery diced
- ½ cup onions diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups chicken stock or broth
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 cup turnips diced
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 tsp seasoned salt
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes optional
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Cube cooked chicken and set aside. (Rotisserie chicken is a huge time-saver.)
- In a 6 quart or larger stock pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add celery and onions. Sauté 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and sauté an additional minute.
- Add chicken stock/broth, cauliflower florets, turnips, salt, pepper, optional red pepper flakes, and heavy cream. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to simmer.
- In a small mixing bowl, slowly sprinkle xanthan gum into ½ cup of hot water, whisking constantly until smooth. Whisk into chowder.
- Simmer, covered, for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add cubed chicken and return to simmer.
- Remove from heat and stir in cheese.
- Garnish with red pepper, chives, and shredded cheese, if desired.