When Amy sent us a photo using our Keto Low Carb Sandwich and Burger Buns to make breakfast sandwiches, we were impressed. We’ve used them for hamburgers, Amy’s Chicken and Herb Burgers, and sloppy joes, but it never dawned on us to use them for breakfast. We made a new batch of buns and divided them into 8 instead of 6 buns, cooked up a few slices of bacon, sliced up some leftover ham, and softly scrambled eggs with herbs and cheese. The result was so delicious we decided to ring in the New Year with these breakfast sandwiches.
At the end of December, we’re still able to harvest some herbs from our Atlanta garden. Lucky us! And nothing jazzes up good old scrambled eggs the way fresh herbs can, so with trusty garden shears in hand, we cut some chives and rosemary.
With just 10 minutes to prep, you can whip up these scrambled eggs in a flash. We made the buns a day in advance, so they were ready to go. We’ve discovered that we prefer dividing the dough into 8 buns instead of 6, which was the perfect size for these breakfast sandwiches. If we don’t use the buns in a day or two, we wrap them up tightly and store in the freezer to keep them fresh for the next use.
Our choices (fresh chives, rosemary, and red pepper) happen to be what we had in the garden and fridge, but the add-in possibilities are endless. We’ve used basil, oregano, and jalapeño peppers, producing a spicy scramble. Add a few chopped scallions and vegetables. Or, add a little heat with red pepper flakes. Change out the cheese for your favorite. Shredded Parmesan or Pepper Jack cheese are great replacements for the cheddar.
We learned a long time ago that adding a little bit of water (not milk) lightens up the texture of scrambled eggs. We usually turn on the faucet to a small drizzle of cold water, then whisk until it looks and feels right, but this time we measured and came up with 3 to 4 tablespoons for 6 eggs. After they’re thoroughly whisked, melt the butter over medium heat and add the eggs to the skillet. Gently stir the eggs until they begin to set up, and then add whatever spices, herbs, vegetables, and cheese of your choice.
Remove from the heat when eggs begin to firm. Divide into 4 buns and add your favorite toppings. Serve immediately. Bacon, ham, or sausage are perfect partners to the scrambled eggs, and an avocado slice tops off a scrumptious keto breakfast sandwich.
Keto Egg and Cheese Breakfast Sandwich
- 6 large eggs
- 3 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp butter
- ½ cup shredded cheddar (Parmesan, Pepper Jack, etc.)
- 1 tbsp red pepper chopped
- 1 tsp chives fresh, chopped
- 1 tsp rosemary fresh, chopped (or ¼ tsp dried)
- Gather ingredients. Chop chives, red pepper and rosemary (or your favorite combo of herbs and vegetables).
- In mixing bowl, whisk eggs with water until well-blended.
- In skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add whisked eggs and gently stir, until eggs begin to cook.
- Add peppers, herbs, and cheese, stirring gently. When eggs begin to firm, remove from heat. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Place scrambled egg mixture into our Low Carb Keto Sandwich and Burger Buns. Top with bacon, ham, sausage, avocado slices, or your favorite add-ons. Serve immediately.