WHAT’S ONE OF OUR FAVORITE COLD WEATHER RECIPES?
One of our favorite meals for Fall? SOUP! Our Keto Ham and Gruyère cheese soup recipe was inspired by a recent visit to a neighborhood grill. Seated on an outdoor patio on a brisk fall afternoon, it really hit the spot. We tried to persuade the chef to give up her recipe, but alas, no go. A few days later we decided to give it a try ourselves. We knew this much: it contained Gruyère cheese and ham (both keto-friendly) so we were off to a great start. After a few tries, we also hit the spot, but with only 3 net carbs per delicious serving.
WHAT IS GRUYÈRE CHEESE?
Gruyère cheese is traditionally used in both French onion soup and in Croque-monsieur, a classic French toasted ham and cheese sandwich. It’s sweet and nutty flavors add a savory note, but without overpowering the other ingredients in a recipe. Gruyère is a great melting cheese, so it’s a favorite in fondues and soups. We were pleasantly surprised just how seamlessly it combined into this soup. You can substitute the Gruyère with shredded cheddar if preferred..
INGREDIENTS IN THIS LOW CARB SOUP RECIPE
Butter – Use unsalted butter in this recipe as the ham will provide plenty of salt.
Shallots – We love adding minced shallots in this soup because of their sweet and delicate taste, which pairs beautifully with the elegant flavors of Gruyère.
Garlic – Sautéed minced garlic adds a milder taste than raw garlic, adding a slightly caramelized sweet flavor to this ham and cheese soup.
Chicken Stock – Adds flavor and volume to the soup. Using low sodium instead of regular chicken stock reduces the sodium by 180 mg per serving.
Cream Cheese – Use the full-fat variety to keep you staying full, longer. Cream cheese adds body and flavor to this creamy ham soup recipe.
Heavy Whipping Cream – Provides a creamy texture and fat for satiety.
Ham – You’ll need about 3 cups of chopped or cubed ham for this recipe. We used leftover ham from a pre-cooked ham, but your local grocery deli can cut up thick slices of ham, or you can buy ham already cubed (a huge time-saver).
Celery Seeds and Seasoned Salt – Added to crank up flavors. Our favorite seasoned salt is Lawry’s, but use whatever type of seasoned salt you love.
Cayenne Pepper – This is an optional ad-in for those who love to add a little heat.
Xanthan gum – A thickener that adds viscosity to gluten-free recipes.
Gruyère Cheese -Contains both sweet and nutty flavors adding a savory note, and is a favorite in fondues and soups.
You can substitute onions (green, regular) or leeks for the shallots if you prefer – or you don’t want to make another grocery run!
Replacments for Gruyère Cheese: Shredded Cheddar cheese, Emmental (Swiss melting cheese), Jarlsberg, and Edam.
INSTRUCTIONS ON MAKING KETO HAM AND GRUYÈRE SOUP
Sauté: Using large stock pot: sauté shallots in butter for just a few minutes. Stir in 2-3 minced garlic cloves. You’re breathing in the fragrance now, right?
Add ingredients: Blend in chicken broth, softened cream cheese, heavy whipping cream, the cubed ham, celery seeds and seasoned salt. And because we like a little punch, a quarter teaspoon of cayenne pepper. Stir until the cream cheese is completely melted. All spices are optional and can be adjusted to your tastebuds. Stirring constantly, bring just to a boil. Then reduce the heat to a simmer.
Thicken the soup: If you prefer a thinner, broth-like soup, you can skip this next step. If you like a thicker consistency, sprinkle the xanthan gum into hot water and whisk vigorously, until the mixture is nice and smooth. Pour hot soup (about a cup or so) into the xanthan gum mix and stir again, just because we’re a little OCD about lumps. Pour mixture back into the soup pot and stir well.
Simmer: 10 to 15 minutes and remove from heat. Stir in the shredded Gruyère and serve.
TOPPING IDEAS FOR OUR KETO HAM SOUP
We love to top with chopped chives and a couple of ham pieces. Shake on a little red pepper flakes if you really want to turn up the heat!
HOW TO STORE KETO HAM AND GRUYÈRE SOUP LEFTOVERS
Store in airtight container in the fridge 4-5 days. Reheat on the stovetop or microwave.
MORE DELICIOUS KETO SOUP RECIPES TO TRY
Keto Ham and Gruyère Soup
- 6 - 8 quart stock pot
- 4 tbsp butter
- ½ cup shallots, minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 48 oz chicken stock low sodium vs regular reduces 180mg of sodium/serving
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 cups ham chunked
- 1 tsp celery seeds
- 1 tsp Lawry's Seasoned Salt
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1-2 tsp xanthan gum optional
- 2 cups Gruyère cheese shredded
- In a large stock pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add shallots and sauté for 2 -3 minutes, until fragrance is released. Add garlic and cook for additional minute.
- Add chicken broth, cream cheese, heavy cream, ham, celery seeds, seasoned salt and cayenne pepper. Increase heat to medium-high. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer. If you prefer a thinner, broth-like soup, skip the next step.
- In a small mixing bowl, slowly sprinkle 1-2 tsp xanthan gum into 1/2 cup hot water, the amount depending on your preferred soup thickness. 1½ tsp works perfectly for us. Whisk constantly until smooth. Pour approximately one cup of hot soup into xanthan gum mixture and whisk until smooth. Repeat, whisking additional cup of hot soup into xanthan gum mixture. Stir back into soup until blended.
- Simmer 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from heat and add shredded cheese. Stir until cheese is incorporated. Top with a few chunks of ham and chives. Serve!