Our buttery shortbread crust and tangy, luscious lemon filling in our Keto Low-Carb Lemon Bars is a refreshing warm-weather dessert we’ve been anxious to share. They’re a must-have treat for parties, holiday get-togethers, baby showers, or anytime you’re craving these yummy bars. Our keto lemon bars explode with flavor and texture, and all for only 3 net carbs per bar!
FOR THE SHORTBREAD CRUST
Granulated Sugar Replacement – We use Swerve or truvia brand
Unsalted Butter – If you only have salted butter, eliminate the added coarse salt.
FOR THE LEMON FILLING
Xanthan Gum – A scant amount to thicken the lemon filling
Powdered Sugar Substitute – We use Swerve or truvia
Unsalted Butter – Softened. If you only have salted butter, eliminate the added coarse salt.
Fresh Lemon Juice – We use a hefty amount (3/4 cup) to ramp up the flavor
Lemon Zest – We use 2 tablespoons for optimum flavor
Eggs – Room temperature
INSTRUCTIONS FOR MAKING KETO LOW-CARB LEMON BARS
Prepare Pan: 9 x 9 square baking pan – a glass baking pan was used for this recipe, however aluminum works fine as well. There are pros and cons for each choice. Some bakers are sensitive to metallic flavors from metal pans, however if your pan is properly prepped, this should not be an issue. You will have to adjust the baking times for a metal pan as baking with a glass dish often takes a bit longer to bake than metal. Spray with baking spray to pan, then line with parchment paper.
Preheat Oven: 350 degrees F.
FIRST MAKE LEMON FILLING
Sift together: Almond flour, coconut flour, powdered sugar substitute, and xanthan gum. Stir or whisk until lump-free.
Whisk In: Eggs, yolk, lemon zest.
Drizzle in: Lemon Juice. Continue whisking until well-incorporated.
Set aside: Until crust is removed from oven.
THEN MAKE CRUST
Stir: Dry ingredients together and then stir in melted butter.
Press: Using fingers, press evenly into pan and 1/2 inch up sides.
Bake: 350 degrees F for 10-12 minutes, or until edges are lightly browned.
REMOVE FROM OVEN
Reduce heat to 325. Immediately pour filling into hot crust. This step helps to prevent a soggy shortbread. Bake on middle rack for additional 12-15 minutes, or until the top is set with a light jiggle in the center.
On wire rack until completely cooled, about 1 hour. Move to refrigerator for at least 3 hours.
CUT INTO SQUARES
Using a sharp knife, use one downward movement to cleanly cut through the bars, dividing into 16 equal squares. Dust with additional powdered sugar substitute.
HOW TO STORE LEMON BARS
Refrigerate lemon bars in air-tight container. Sprinkle powered sugar substitute right before serving. Stays at maximum flavor 4-5 days.
To freeze squares, wrap individually with plastic wrap and place in ziplock bag. Thaw in refrigerator the night before serving. Sprinkle with powdered sugar substitute before serving.
TIPS FOR MAKING OUR KETO LOW-CARB LEMON SQUARES
Don’t poke holes into the crust before cooking.
Reduce the oven temperature to 325 degrees before putting the filled squares back into the oven.
Bake on middle rack.
Use only fresh lemon juice for these lemon bars.
We’ve used both glass and metal 9 x 9 pans successfully. You will have to adjust the bake times accordingly and most important: check often. Bake the crust 12-15 minutes or until edges are golden. Immediately pour the lemon filling into the crust and bake at 325 degrees F, 12-15 minutes, or until a slight jiggle in center remains. The timing isn’t as important as the end result: Crust – golden edges. Final baking – filling set but with a slight jiggle in the center.
Keto Low-Carb Lemon Bars Recipe
- 1 9x9 baking pan glass or aluminum
- FOR THE SHORTBREAD CRUST
- 2 cups Almond flour Superfine, blanched
- ⅓ cup Granulated sugar substitute Swerve, truvia
- ¼ tsp Coarse salt Kosher, Sea
- 6 tbsp Butter, unsalted, melted
- FOR THE LEMON FILLING
- ¼ cup Almond flour Superfine, blanched
- 2 tbsp Coconut flour
- ¼ tsp Xanthan gum
- ¼ tsp Coarse salt
- ½ cup Powdered sugar substitute Swerve, truvia
- 4 tbsp Butter, unsalted, room temperature
- ¾ cup Fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp Lemon zest
- 4 large Eggs
- 1 large Egg yolk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray baking spray on bottom and sides of glass dish or metal pan. Line with parchment paper, hanging over two sides.
- MAKE THE FILLING FIRST as it needs to be poured over crust as soon as the crust comes out of the oven. In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, coconut flour, powdered sugar substitute, salt, and xanthan gum. Using fork, stir in softened (room temperature) butter until dough comes together.
- Whisk in room temperature eggs and yolk until well-blended. Slowly drizzle in lemon juice. Add zest (optional) and mix well.
- NEXT, MAKE THE CRUST. In a large bowl, combine almond flour, granulated sugar substitute, and salt until blended. Stir in melted butter. Using fingers, spread the dough evenly into the bottom and ½ inch up the sides of the lined pan. Bake at 350° F until crust is lightly browned, about 12-15 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 325°F.
- Immediately pour the lemon filling into the crust and bake 12-15 minutes, or until a slight jiggle in center remains. Remove from oven and cool completely in the pan on wire rack. Refrigerate at least 3 hours.
- Lift sides of parchment paper to remove. Cut into 16 squares. Dust with powdered sugar substitute, if desired.