What’s my absolute favorite food? That’s easy. Dessert. So when we decided to go keto, my first thought was, “Oh no, no, no, I will not eat those foul-tasting sugar-free desserts! I’ll have to live without the best course of the meal.”
Day by day, I started to figure out how to use sugar and flour substitutes that are now staples in just about every dessert recipe I make. I’ve also turned my tastebuds around so that super sugary, thick-frosted cakes don’t appeal to me anymore. If you’re just starting out on a low-carb or keto diet, don’t despair! You can get the same satisfaction from dessert that you’ve always had.
Shortly after we started our keto journey, my younger brother, Stephen, wanted to jump in, too. He’s thin, but wanted to trim down his stomach a little. He’s always been fit – in fact joined Amy on her 5-year cancerversary trip climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro, but was intrigued by the weight loss and general fitness he saw in Amy, Mike, and me.
He’s been all-in for two years, and just ran the Marine Corps marathon last November. This “recipe” is his creation. He brought it to a family gathering, and told me it was very low in carbs. Now I DO love a good mousse, and my favorite flavor just happens to be lemon, but admit I was still skeptical.
One bite and I was sold. I got out my phone to write down the directions. Here we go. Ready? 3 ingredients, and one of them is water. At first, Stephen used just two ingredients: pudding mix and heavy whipping cream. But on his next try, he decided to lighten the texture of the mousse with water. Perfection.
Stock up on sugar-free Jello instant pudding mixes. I buy mine on Amazon in bulk – that’s how awesome this mousse tastes. My fav is lemon, but cheesecake, chocolate and white chocolate are also delicious.
Top with berries, nuts, dark chocolate shavings, lemon zest – all low carb! I use electric beaters for speed, but using a whisk works just as well. It takes a little longer – like 1-2 minutes – for the mousse to thicken.
I promise you will be amazed at this gem of a dessert!
- 1 package sugar-free Jell-O instant pudding (one ounce) My favorites: lemon and pistachio
- 1-3/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup water
Top or Fold-in
- Melted 85% high-cacao chocolate squares drizzled on top
- Dark chocolate shavings
- Blackberries, raspberries, strawberries, blueberries
- Sugar-free whipped heavy cream I use Land O Lakes
- Lemon zest
- Juice of one lemon
- Beat pudding mix, heavy whipping cream, and water until stiff, about 1-2 minutes.
- And that’s it! Spoon into individual dessert bowls.
- For the lemon mousse: A little harder to find the lemon sugar-free instant pudding, so I buy on Amazon. After beating the pudding mix, whipping cream, and water together, fold in both the zest and the juice of one lemon (optional).
- For the pistachio: Top with chopped, lightly salted pistachios and berries.
- Other sugar-free instant pudding flavors to try: chocolate, white chocolate, cheesecake