As we’re inching toward the season of spring, we can’t think of a better side dish than fresh asparagus, roasted in olive oil with a sprinkling of garlic powder and Parmesan cheese. Roasted Parmesan Asparagus is one of the easiest recipes you’ll ever make, and only takes 15 minutes from prep to table! Roasting asparagus is our preferred cooking method for this tasty green vegetable, because the flavors are sealed in and concentrated, and the texture is crisp and tender, never overly-soft and mushy.
When choosing fresh asparagus, look for bright green stalks with tightly closed tips. We prefer asparagus with stalks that are of medium thickness, but they’re not always available. Remember to adjust your cooking time according to their size. As soon as you’re back home, place the asparagus in a glass jar (mason jars are perfect) and add an inch or two of water and throw a plastic bag over the top. This method keeps it staying fresh days longer. Store in the refrigerator until you’re ready to use.
We’re pretty sure you’ve snapped asparagus to remove the tough ends of the stalk. Take the bottom half of each stalk into both hands and bend. It will snap right where it should. We like to trim off the ends with a sharp knife, too, if only for aesthetic purposes. Give them a quick rinse and dry well before placing on a large parchment-lined baking sheet. Set your oven temperature to 400 degrees F.
Place the asparagus in the center of the baking sheet and drizzle with enough olive oil to coat all stalks well, which for us was just about 2 tablespoons. Sprinkle the salt, pepper and garlic powder over the spears and toss. Change out the Kosher salt for seasoned salt, like Lawry’s, Cajun or Italian, and sprinkle in a little red pepper flakes if you want some heat. Any dry seasoning you prefer will work great. Then arrange the spears in a single layer, keeping space between each one for even roasting.
Place in the preheated oven for approximately 5 minutes, then flip each stalk over and sprinkle on Parmesan cheese. Return to the oven and continue roasting for about 4-5 minutes, until cheese is slightly browned. The thicker the stalk, the longer you’ll want to roast. It’s a good idea to cut into one of the stalks and sample for your desired tenderness.
Roasted asparagus is best when served immediately. We like to squeeze a little lemon juice on top, but it’s fantastic just like it is.
Keto Roasted Parmesan Asparagus
- Large sheet pan
- 1 lb fresh asparagus approximately one bunch
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp coarse salt or your preferred seasoning
- ¼ tsp ground pepper
- ¼ tsp garlic powder optional
- 3 tbsp Parmesan cheese finely grated
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Rinse asparagus; snap off woody ends and dry well. For neat ends, trim with knife.
- Place asparagus in center of prepared baking sheet and drizzle with 1-2 T olive oil. Sprinkle salt, pepper and optional garlic powder onto spears. Toss until coated. Arrange the asparagus spears in a single layer.
- Roast in oven for 5 minutes. Flip spears. Sprinkle on Parmesan cheese and return to oven, roasting an additional 4-5 minutes, or until desired doneness. Roasting time is dependent on thickness of spears and individual preference of tenderness.
- Remove from oven. Place in serving dish and if desired, squeeze a little fresh lemon juice over the top.