OUR FAVORITE CROCK POT MEAL
Using a Crock Pot or slow cooker, come home to a delicious, hearty, classic pot roast dinner that will fill your home with irresistible aromas! This is the best keto pot roast meal you’ll ever taste, prepped the day before or the morning of, and ready to eat at the end of your busy day. And nothing says comfort food like a tender and juicy chuck pot roast, complete with vegetables, fresh herbs, surrounded in a beef broth and wine au jus. With only 6 net carbs per serving including vegetables, it fits into your keto low carb lifestyle, too. So gather the ingredients and let’s start cooking!
WHAT EQUIPMENT YOU’LL NEED
A large Crock Pot
A heavy skillet or deep stock pot
INGREDIENTS FOR MAKING THIS SLOW COOKER POT ROAST RECIPE
Chuck Roast – About 4 pounds
Coarse Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper – For seasoning the roast
Extra Virgin Olive Oil (or Avocado Oil) – For high temperature browning
Minced Garlic – Adding flavor to the roast
Vegetables – Yellow onion, carrots, rutabaga (all coarsely chopped)
Beef Stock and Dry Red Wine – To keep the roast and vegetables moist and juicy
Fresh Herbs – Rosemary, Thyme, and Bay Leaves
Xanthan gum – (Optional) A thickener that adds viscosity to gluten-free recipes, in this case, for a thicker gravy.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR MAKING THIS POT ROAST SLOW COOKER MEAL
Rub: Salt and Pepper into all sides of the chuck roast.
Sear Roast: 4-5 minutes all sides on medium-high heat in deep pan or skillet.
Add: Minced garlic, onion, carrots, rutabaga, fresh herbs, beef broth and wine.
Set Temperature: On low heat with lid, 8-9 hours.
Remove Vegetables and Roast. Plate. Pour strained drippings on top and garnish with parsley.
If you prefer to make a thicker gravy, sprinkle the xanthan gum into about 1/2 cup of hot water and whisk vigorously, until the mixture is nice and smooth. Pour about a cup of the hot gravy into the xanthan gum mix and stir again, then back into the gravy and stir well.
WHAT CUT OF MEAT SHOULD I USE FOR POT ROAST?
Our recommendation is chuck roast – it’s nicely marbled roast makes for a tender and juicy cut of meat, especially when cooked slow and low. It’s fatty juices produce flavorful broth.
DO YOU HAVE TO BROWN THE ROAST FIRST?
Trust us, taking the time to brown the roast produces the best browned crust and helps seal in the juices and flavors.
HOW LONG SHOULD I COOK THE POT ROAST IN A SLOW COOKER?
We recommend between 8-9 hours on low for tender, juicy meat and vegetables. Our slow cooker produces a perfect cook in this time frame. Test by sticking a fork in the meat to make sure it shreds apart easily with a fork. Refrain from removing the lid during cooking.
WHAT VEGETABLES DO I ADD TO CREATE A ONE-POT LOW CARB MEAL?
Rutabaga, carrots, and onion are the vegetables we use in our keto pot roast. Rutabaga? You’ll have to taste to believe! When slow-cooked, rutabagas have a mild potato flavor and texture. We like them even better than potatoes, as they tend to be slightly sweeter in taste. Our new favorite keto veggie! We only add 3 carrots for flavor and color, and large chunks of onion that can be easily removed if you prefer. In fact, all our veggies are chunked so they retain texture and don’t get mushy.
HOW TO STORE THIS RECIPE
Our Pot Roast recipe stays fresh in an air-tight container for 3-4 days in the refrigerator, or about 3 months in an air-tight freezer-safe container or plastic bag.
HOW TO REHEAT POT ROAST AND VEGETABLES
Reheat meat, veggies, and au jus or gravy on stovetop, in microwave, or oven until hot throughout.
Keto Slow Cooker Pot Roast Recipe
- Large skillet or Large Stock Pot
- Crock Pot or Slow Cooker
- 4 lb Chuck roast
- 1 tbsp Coarse salt
- 1 tsp Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves Minced garlic about 4 tsp
- 1 medium Yellow onion peeled, cut into large chunks
- 1½ cups Carrots about 3 large, peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1½ pounds Rutabaga peeled, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1½ cups Beef or bone broth use reduced sodium to lower total mg
- ½ cup Red wine optional - can replace with beef broth
- 3 sprigs Fresh Rosemary
- 3 sprigs Fresh Thyme
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1-2 tsp xanthan gum (optional)
- Gather ingredients. Rub salt and pepper into all sides of chuck roast.
- Heat olive oil in large, deep skillet or stock pot on medium-high heat. Sear roast in pot about 4-5 minutes each side, undisturbed, until well-browned. Transfer roast to slow cooker.
- Add garlic, onion, carrots, rutabaga, fresh rosemary, fresh thyme, and bay leaves over roast. Add beef broth/wine.
- Set temperature on low. Place lid over slow cooker and cook for 8-9 hours, or until fork-tender, meaning you can pull apart the meat or shred with a fork.
- Remove roast and vegetables to serving plate. Strain broth/au jus and pour on top. If you prefer a thicker gravy, sprinkle xanthan gum into about 1/2 cup of hot water and whisk vigorously, until the mixture is nice and smooth. Pour about a cup of the hot gravy into the xanthan gum mixture and whisk again, then back into the gravy and stir well. Add in small increments until desired thickness is reached. Garnish with fresh parsley or chives.