CAN REPLACING PASTA WITH CABBAGE ACTUALLY TASTE GREAT?
Our latest recipe: Low Carb Keto Cabbage Lasagna. When sister, Annie, called to tell us she substituted cabbage leaves for pasta in her lasagna recipe we weren’t so sure we wanted to even give it a try, but after her high praise, we were persuaded. We didn’t know it was a thing these days, so followed our family recipe, but replaced the pasta with cooked cabbage leaves and crossed our fingers. The results are in: It was unbelievably delicious! It’s keto, low carb, and gluten-free, all with only 8 net carbs per large serving. It’s comfort food at its best: decandent, cheesy, and satisfying.
HOW TO MAKE OUR KETO LASAGNA RECIPE
9 x 13 Baking Pan
Medium Stock Pot
Large Cutting Board
INGREDIENTS FOR MAKING OUR LOW CARB LASAGNA RECIPE
Lean Ground Beef – We use 90/10.
Garlic – About 4-5 large cloves
Low Carb Marinara Sauce – We use Rao’s. Our favorite variety is arrabiatta as it adds a little heat.
Dried Herbs – basil, oregano, thyme, fennel seeds, dried or fresh parsley
Cheeses – Full-fat ricotta, Parmesan, and mozzarella
INSTRUCTIONS FOR MAKING CABBAGE LASAGNA
Cook: Ground beef, onions, and garlic over medium-high until meat is browned. Drain fat.
Add: Sauce, basil, 1tsp oregano, fennel seeds, and thyme.
Simmer and Stir: 10 minutes.
Mix: In medium bowl, ricotta cheese, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, 2 tsp oregano, and eggs.
Boil: Cabbage leaves in salted water until soft and tender (about 5 minutes). Drain and rinse in water. Place between paper or dish towels to remove remaining water. Pat completely dry.
Layer: Spray bottom of baking dish with cooking spray. Line with cabbage leaves, 1/2 meat sauce, 1/2 ricotta cheese, 1/2 shredded mozzarella. Repeat layers.
Top: With with remaining Parmesan cheese.
Bake: 350 degrees F for 45 minutes.
Remove: From oven. Allow to set for 15-20 minutes.
Slice and Serve: Into 12 squares.
HOW TO COOK CABBAGE LEAVES
Before cooking, carefully remove individual cabbage leaves. Cut out the ribs from the cabbage leaves (personal preference). We think it improves the overall texture of the lasagna, however this step is not required. Fill a medium stock pot (about 6-9 quarts) with water and bring to a boil. Add Kosher salt to the boiling water, which helps remove liquid from the leaves and adds extra flavor. Drop in leaves and cook, covered, until soft and tender, about 5 minutes.
Using tongs, carefully remove the leaves and place in colander to drain. Rinse with cold water to remove excess salt. Place between paper or dish towels to remove any remaining water. Pat dry. This is an important step to prevent the lasagna from getting soggy!
ALTERNATIVES TO REPLACE GROUND BEEF
If you want to switch out the ground beef, ground turkey or Italian sausage are great replacements.
STORING THE CABBAGE LASAGNA
Place slices in air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
To freeze, wrap individual slices first in plastic wrap, then in aluminum foil for up to 1 year.
CAN THE LASAGNA BE MADE AHEAD OF TIME?
Absolutely! After assembly, cover and store in refrigerator. When you’re ready to bake, remove the pan and place on counter one hour before putting in the oven. You may need to increase the baking time a bit.
REHEATING THE CABBAGE LASAGNA
If reheating from a frozen state, thaw lasagna overnight in refrigerator. Our favorite method to reheat is using a microwave. Microwaves greatly vary in power, but as a general rule start with 1 minute, then rotate plate and cook an additional minute. Repeat until you’ve reached desired temperature. If you prefer reheating in the oven, cover with aluminum foil and use a low temperature (300 degrees F) until heated throughout.
Low Carb Keto Cabbage Lasagna
- 9x13 Baking pan or casserole dish
- Large skillet
- Medium stock pot
- Large Cutting Board
- Knife sharp, large size
- 1 lb lean ground beef 90/10
- 1 cup chopped onion about 1 medium
- 4 tsp minced garlic
- 32 oz low carb marinara sauce We use Rao's Arrabbiata for a spicy kick.
- 3 tsp dried oregano divided
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- ½ head cabbage or about 10-15 leaves
- 24 oz ricotta cheese full-fat
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese divided
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tbsp parsley chopped
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese full-fat
- Gather ingredients. Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In large skillet over medium-high heat, cook ground beef, onions, and garlic. Stir well until meat is browned. Drain fat. Add sauce, 1 tsp oregano, basil, fennel seeds, and thyme. Simmer and stir sauce occasionally until heated throughout, about 10 minutes.
- In medium bowl, add ricotta cheese, ½ cup Parmesan cheese, remaining 2 tsp oregano, and eggs. Stir until mixed. Set aside.
- While sauce is simmering, slice the head of cabbage in half through the core with a sharp, large knife. Cut out triangular shaped core. Carefully remove cabbage leaves, removing ribs if desired, and drop into a stock pot of boiling, salted water (2 tbsp Kosher salt) for about 5 minutes, or until leaves are soft and tender. Carefully remove and drain, rinse with water, then place between dish towels or paper towels to remove any remaining water. Pat completely dry.
- Spray 9x13 baking pan with cooking spray. Place a layer of cabbage leaves on the bottom of pan. Next, spread ½ of meat sauce over leaves, followed by ½ ricotta cheese mixture, then sprinkle ½ of shredded mozzarella on top (1 cup).
- Repeat layers: cabbage leaves, remaining meat sauce, remaining ricotta cheese mixture, and remaining 1 cup shredded mozzarella. Top with remaining ½ cup Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle on chopped parsley (optional).
- Bake on medium rack in preheated oven for 45 minutes. Tent with foil if top cheese layer is over-browning. Remove and allow 15-20 minutes for the lasagna to set. Slice into 12 squares and serve. Salt and pepper to taste.