When Mike and I were married in 1972, we were living paycheck to paycheck in married housing at Michigan State University. Go Spartans! Friday nights meant opening a box of Chef Boyardee Pizza Mix, stirring oil and hot water in with the contents of the crust ingredients, stretching the dough over the pizza pan, and topping with the enclosed can of sauce and the little packet of Parmesan cheese. And we liked it.
We fed it to our two kids as toddlers. And they loved it.
When Eric and Amy were teenagers, they’d come home from school and immediately hit the fridge. One of their favorite snacks – frozen pizza rolls. With the help of a friend or two, they’d manage to eat their way through several packages in mere minutes. Here’s the rub: 6 pizza rolls come in at 23 net grams of carbs!
These low carb pizza bites are scrumptious little appetizers with minimum prep and mess. After you pop one of these in your mouth, you’ll never want to buy ready-made frozen varieties from the grocery store again.
My fridge is always stocked with shredded mozzarella, low-carb pizza sauce, and pepperoni or ham – the three main ingredients for these bites. These pizza bites take only 15 minutes start to finish. Make the cheese crusts by spreading a tablespoon of shredded mozzarella on a baking sheet and baking for 5-6 minutes. While they’re baking, sauté your favorite meats (bacon, pepperoni, ham) until sizzling hot. Microwave low-carb pizza sauce until hot. Many great low-carb sauces on the market now, and a huge time-saver. Let the crusts cool a few minutes and top with pizza sauce, meats, and fresh or dried herbs.
Pizza bites store in fridge for a solid week. If the kids can’t wait, they’re delicious cold. To reheat, pop in the microwave a few at a time until warmed, or place in skillet over medium heat until hot. Let cool for a few minutes and enjoy.
Cheese Crust Pizza Bites
- 8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tsp Low-carb pizza sauce I love L.E. Roselli’s, but there are many varieties at your grocery store.
- Pizza toppings: pepperoni ham or bacon bits, dried herbs, fresh basil, chopped peppers, and onions are a few of our favorites. Zero to trace net carbs added in these toppings.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or silicone mat, place 1 tablespoon of shredded mozzarella in piles, leaving a little space (about 2 inches) to allow for the cheese to spread. 8 ounces of cheese make 32 rounds.
- On center rack, bake for 5 minutes or when the rounds begin to brown. While they’re baking, I heat up the meat in a pan with a small amount of butter or olive oil.
- While the rounds cool, I heat the pizza sauce in the microwave. Spread small amount of sauce onto cooled cheese rounds. Top with your favorites!