Our easy, delicious Red White and Blue Berry Tacos were inspired by little sister, Annie. She called with the basic idea, and we developed it into a 15 minute dessert recipe that blew us away with taste and texture, with only 5 net carbs per serving.
You’ll need the following items for these sweet tacos, most of them already in your pantry or fridge: Mission Carb Balance tortillas, butter, sugar substitute, ground cinnamon, strawberries and or blueberries, and full-fat cream cheese. If you’re like us, you have Land O Lakes Sugar-Free Whipped Heavy Cream stockpiled in the fridge for recipes just like this, too.
Sixteen tortillas were sacrificed in the process of getting the taco shell just right. We wanted the shell lightly crisp, with a caramelized sugar and cinnamon coating (sugar substitute of course). We’ve got the cooking temperature and technique broken down into fail-safe directions.
In a skillet that’s been heated to medium-high, melt 1 tbsp of butter and add in tortilla. Flip it over until both sides are covered in butter. Sprinkle about 1/4 of the sugar substitute and cinnamon mix on one side and flip, cooking until golden-brown. Takes about 1 minute for us, but check often as stovetop heats vary. We use tongs to move the tortilla around the pan, occasionally lifting to check for doneness.
While the first side is browning, sprinkle another 1/4 of the sugar and cinnamon mixture on the top of the uncooked side. Next, flip the tortilla and cook for another minute, or until golden brown.
Continue flipping back and forth for another 30 seconds or so, until both sides are evenly browned and lightly crisp. Place on a wire rack until cooled, about 5 minutes or so. Repeat the instructions with the second tortilla.
After cooling, spread 1/2 of the softened cream cheese (1 ounce) over the top side of the tortilla. Then press in sliced strawberries and blueberries and fold tortilla into a taco.
We top it off with a squirt of whipped heavy cream around the edges. Cut the taco in half for one serving. Serve immediately.
Red White and Blue Berry Tacos
- Wire rack
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 - 8 inch Mission Carb Balance Tortilla Wraps
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar replacement truvia, Swerve, etc.
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 oz cream cheese softened
- 2 oz strawberries sliced
- 1.5 oz blueberries
- 2 tbsp sugar-free whipped heavy cream canned (we use Land O Lakes)
- Mix together cinnamon and sugar substitute. Set aside. Heat skillet over medium-high heat. Melt 1 tbsp butter in pan and add tortilla. Flip until both sides are covered with butter. Sprinkle ¼ of the cinnamon/sugar substitute mix on top side of tortilla and flip. Cook approximately 1 minute or until browned, checking to prevent burning. While it's cooking, sprinkle another ¼ of the cinnamon/sugar mix on top of uncooked side.
- Flip tortilla and cook another minute, or until browned. Continue flipping tortilla back and forth until evenly browned and lightly crisp, about 30 to 60 seconds. Place on wire rack until cooled. Repeat instructions with second tortilla.
- Spread ½ of softened cream cheese (1 oz) over top side of tortilla. Press in strawberries and blueberries. Repeat for second tortilla.
- Fold tortilla in half, taco-style. Squirt whipped heavy cream around opening, if desired. Using sharp knife, cut each taco in half. Serve immediately.