I’m always on the lookout for delicious and easy chicken dishes, and I really don’t enjoy clean-up, either. Our Skillet Chicken and Mushroom dish is both luscious, and cooks on the stovetop using only one pan. Covered both bases! Don’t let the ingredient list scare you off. Other than chicken breasts (and you can always switch out breasts for boneless, skinless thighs), you’ll need olive oil, butter, shallots, garlic, mushrooms, a little white wine or chicken stock, some heavy cream (I’m always stocked up on this) and a few spices you likely have in your pantry.
Skinless, boneless chicken breasts are so easy to buy prepackaged! We love Perdue Perfect Portions because they’re individually wrapped pouches. They come fresh, but when I need to freeze, they thaw in a bowl of cold water in no time, and I can pull out only the amount I need to use. I remember the days when we bought whole chickens (yes, whole chickens) and cut them into pieces. Thank you, modern processing!
Start with 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts. Rub in a little salt and pepper on each side, and place the chicken in a large skillet over medium-high heat that’s been prepped with a couple tablespoons of olive oil. Cook for 4 minutes each side, without moving the breasts around in the pan. I know, it’s tempting, but don’t give in. Transfer to a plate and cover to keep in the heat.
In the same skillet, you’ll sauté shallots, garlic, and then mushrooms, waiting 5 minutes until the mushrooms are beautifully glazed. The aroma from this combination will have you taking in deep breaths as they cook to perfection.
Now stir in 1/2 cup of white wine and 1/2 cup of chicken stock, or a combination of both. Your choice. Add red pepper flakes (adds a little kick to the sauce) and simmer 5 minutes.
If you like the sauce a little thicker like we do, whisk the almond flour into the heavy cream before adding back to the skillet. Otherwise, you can skip the almond flour. Return the chicken back to the skillet and sprinkle with dried or fresh thyme. 1/2 teaspoon dried is equivalent to 1/2 tablespoon of fresh. Simmer, undisturbed until a thermometer inserted into the thickest part reaches 165 degrees F. This shouldn’t take more than a few minutes. Plate the chicken, and spoon over the sauce. Sprinkle with your favorite chopped herb and serve!
Skillet Chicken and Mushrooms
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts about 5-6 ounces each
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- ½ tsp pepper freshly ground
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp butter unsalted
- ½ cup shallots finely diced
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms cremini, shiitake, or your choice
- ½ cup chicken stock
- ½ cup dry white wine
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes optional
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 tsp almond flour optional
- 1 tsp chopped chives parsley, or basil
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Using a mallet, pound the chicken breasts until approximately 1/2 inch thick. Sprinkle both sides of chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Add to heated olive oil and cook 4 minutes, without moving the breasts in pan.
- Flip the chicken breasts over, add 1 tbsp butter and continue cooking 4 minutes. Remove cooked chicken breasts from skillet. Transfer to a plate and cover.
- In same skillet, over medium-high heat, stir in 2 tbsp unsalted butter. Add ½ cup shallots and sauté for 2 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Add sliced mushrooms. Cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are browned and glazed, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in chicken stock, white wine, and red pepper flakes. Simmer 5 minutes.
- Whisk 2 tsp almond flour into the heavy cream, and add to skillet. (If you prefer a thinner sauce, skip the almond flour). Return chicken breasts to skillet; sprinkle dried thyme over chicken. Allow to simmer, undisturbed, until a meat thermometer inserted into thickest part reaches 165 degrees F. This should only take a minute or two.
- Top with chopped chives, parsley, or basil.