I love everything Mediterranean! Including the Mediterranean 🙂 Twenty years ago, Mike and I built a Mediterranean-style house, because for me nothing says vacation like a tile roof and stucco. Over the years I’ve been lucky enough to visit Spain, France, Monaco and Italy. Four down, fifteen left on the list. Strolling through charming villages or at the edge of sun-kissed beaches, letting the sound of turquoise waves wash over me. I close my eyes and I’m there.
And then there’s the food: Pizza, all kinds of yummy cheeses, yogurts, olives, basil, tomatoes, avocados, hummus, cucumbers, tapas. And I can’t forget gelato. Ever.
I like to use rotisserie chicken (because I’m lazy) or the contents of my restaurant doggie bag, or leftover meat from the night before (because I’m cheap).
I also love Boar’s Head deli meats. With only 1 net carb for a one-ounce serving, Rosemary and Sun-Dried Tomato Ham, or Maple Glazed Honey Coated Turkey Breast are both great choices. For .5 net carbs per one-ounce serving, Pesto Parmesan Oven Roasted Ham, Chipotle Oven Roasted Chicken Breast (nice and spicy) Prosciutto Di Parma, and Pastrami Seasoned Turkey Breast all taste fantastic. There are so many low-carb choices with these deli meats, just ask for a sample before deciding.
I spread a tablespoon of softened cream cheese over one side of the wrap to keep it from getting soggy. Then I press in baby spinach leaves into the cream cheese. Next comes the meat – 1 ounce is plenty – then layer on avocado slices, feta, tomatoes, olives and fresh basil. Sprinkle on dried spices and vinaigrette, or a mixture of olive oil and balsamic vinegar if you prefer. Roll the wrap and you’re off!
Clearly, you’ll want to make your wrap with the ingredients you love. There are no limits to what you can wrap up, just make sure to check the net carb count in your favorites.
Spinach, Feta, and Cream Cheese Mediterranean Wrap
- 9 inch Mission Carb Balance Flour Tortilla white or whole wheat
- 1 tablespoon softened full-fat cream cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh baby spinach
- 1/4 avocado sliced
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese I love tomato and basil variety
- 1/4 cup chopped tomato
- 2 tablespoons sliced black or Kalamata olives
- 1-2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1-2 tablespoons Zero Carb Herb Vinaigrette
- Optional dried spices oregano, basil, thyme or Mediterranean blend
- 1 ounce meat optional (chicken, beef, low carb deli meat)
- Spread softened cream cheese over 1 side of tortilla. Press spinach into cream cheese.
- Layer meat, avocado slices, feta cheese and remaining vegetables and optional spices. Drizzle with herb vinaigrette.
- Roll up wrap. Start at bottom and fold up a few inches. Next, roll the wrap from the right side until it’s half-rolled. Fold the top of the tortilla down, enclosing the filling and roll tightly.