Over the years, I’ve found most folks either love blue cheese or hate it. When I was a kid, my dad would bring Roquefort blue cheese to the dinner table as an after-dinner treat. He’d bite off a big piece, chew it, and taking a deep breath, and exhale – all over his nine children. He took great joy in our moaning and nose-holding. For years, I couldn’t bring myself to taste blue cheese. I thought it had to be the worst smell ever!
Fast forward to adulthood. I can’t get enough blue cheese. As a toddler, Amy surprised us by gobbling it up and asking for more. Still one of her favorite cheeses.
If you’ve got 5 minutes and a blue cheese wedge on hand, the rest of the ingredients are probably in your fridge. I suggest using a wedge of blue cheese instead of the already-crumbled package. Break up the blue cheese in a mixing bowl (setting aside a little to add back) add in sour cream or yogurt (full-fat of course), fresh lemon juice and Worcestershire sauce. Add a little garlic powder, sea salt and freshly ground black pepper and stir. You will not, repeat will NOT go back to bottled blue cheese dressing ever again.
This creamy/chunky dressing isn’t just for salads. It makes a great dip for hot wings or buffalo cauliflower bites. We use on chicken, roast beef, and pork sandwiches to give them a burst of flavor. It’s a great cheeseburger topping, too!
All those veggies you don’t like? Smother them in blue cheese dip, of course.
Use sour cream or Greek yogurt. The yogurt gives the dressing a slightly firmer texture while the sour cream results in a creamier one. The flavor profile is unchanged.
Store in a container with lid and refrigerate for a few hours before serving. Stays fresh in your fridge for about 2 weeks.
Ultimate Creamy Blue Cheese Dressing
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup full fat sour cream or full-fat Greek yogurt or half cup each
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ounces blue cheese tastes better if you buy a wedge and crumble yourself
- In medium bowl, break blue cheese into small pieces. Set aside about 2 ounces for later use. Smash remaining 6 ounces with fork.
- Add remaining ingredients to bowl and stir until combined.
- Add remaining 2 ounces of blue cheese crumbles. If dressing is too thick for you, add a small amount of heavy whipping cream, half n half or milk until desired consistency is reached.